Make a Tax Deductible Donation

DonateNow Please click the "Dontate Now" button to make a TAX DEDUCTIBLE donation to help bring Karina to her forever family. We travel SOON and need your help to make this girl's dream come true!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Another Rainy Day and Angel's Birthday



We got up today ready to celebrate Angel’s Birthday but the weather had another plan. We got ready for the morning and went to get Karina at around 10 o’clock. Our first plan of attack was to go to a local flea market to find some clothing for Karina. I brought some items but I wasn’t sure of her pants size. At this point I am guessing she’s either a 7/8 or 9/10. If you have anything that your teens or yourself have grown out of or don’t like we would really appreciate the donations.
Considering where we were shopping and the cost of living they seem to get a lot of money for their clothing. On top of that, the quality does not seem the best. An average price of a shirt was $20 and up. Now, Ukrainians, unlike American, do not have a closet full of clothing like we do. But $20 seems like a big chunk of change for a Ukrainian. I encourage Karina that we can get a lot more clothing back in American and to once again only get what she needs in order to get home. She picked out one pair of Capri’s and one shirt. That was it. She was trying to respect my frugalness. I like that. She is very sweet and appreciative. Happily, she was wearer her news today also.

After the Market we walked over to the amusement park. Everyone was complaining they were hungry so we went into the park to a recommended restaurant to have some lunch. The menu was completely Russian. Thankfully, Karina is doing well on her English lessons and was able to help us muddle through the menu and order items for everyone. Aydan has fallen in love with a Ukrainian dish called Pelmeni. They are small tortellini shaped pasta with meat inside usually served with sour cream. We have practically had them every other day. I am getting a little sick of them. Since Aydan is allergic to dairy he has them with sauce or ketchup was available. It has been difficult to find food he likes so I have given in and made he him dish every other day. Oh well, anything to keep the whining to a minimum. Angel it seems is living on Ukrainian pizza though she says American pizza is much better. For her, I think the pizza is her comfort food that reminds her of home and she knows what to expect. I told Karina to order me whatever she wanted so she did. We had a Ukrainian dish called Blinechiki which are thin crepes stuffed with cheese and meat also served with sour cream and she ordered me a amazing rice dish that reminded me of Indian food. Yum!

After lunch, it was off to the rides. It was still drizzling a little so we went to the bumper cars since it was covered. These bumper cars were fast. I am guessing I should have watched for awhile because after watching I would have realized they (in Ukraine) don’t bump these cars. Unknown to Angel and Aydan, they proceeded to get into the cars and immediately bumped each other……..hard and again……hard. At this point, after watching them almost launch out of the cars, I realized, hey, no one else is bumping and that seemed kind of violent. I tried to get their attention and once I did they stopped. I would have been nice if someone told us in advance. Oh well. Angel ended up getting a rope burn on her neck from the impact and the safety belt rubbing. Thank God for safety belts.
Another cool observation, considering how they drive here: crazy, fast, no traffic lights usually, no stop signs….I am quite surprised that I have not seen a car accident yet. I will pray I continue with this luck.

In the pictures above, I should have gotten a before and after shot because they were dry when they got on but during the ride a torrential down pour occurred. Surprisingly, the ride attendant did not stop the ride. Karina, Angel and Aydan were soaked to the bone. At this point, we decided to call it a day.

Karina needed to get back and study for her last final exam and we were all wet. So we dropped off Karina and went back to change and chill.

It’s amazing how much time you have when there is no TV to watch. I have already read 3 books. I am loving the down time if nothing else. It’s almost a little too much down time.

We did get a phone call at around 4:30 to run down to the court house to sign some papers so off we went for our 20 minute walk down the road. It was sunny at this point so it was a good walk. On the way back I decided to pick up a few things at the supermarket. I felt that we have three willing able bodies. We can do this. Oh my goodness, what a bunch of spoiled kids. I carried the 2 gallon bottle of water (cost less than a dollar), they carried the groceries complaining every second of the way. Why can’t we get a taxi…….whaaaaa…….whaaaaaa. I told them I’m the one carrying the water. What’s the problem? Mark told me before he left he wasn’t going to carry the water all the way back to the apartment. Well, :oP I did today, muscle man, and I’m still alive!!!

All in all these past couple of days has truly made me appreciate all of God’s orchestrating and his planning. It is truly amazing to have a God who cares enough to go through so much trouble for a girl named Karina. God exercises His sovereign right to floor us with his mystery. We cannot know or even begin to fathom all the in and out of his plan or even wish to come close to understanding them. No matter what desert we are in or how far we have come……. through God we will survive to reach the other side. I know there are many evils that God delivers us from and some that he may not. Other times he parts the raging sea and moves mountains. No matter where we are, he is with us……”Do not be afraid, for I am with you: I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west” Isa. 43:2, 5

Well, we were in the East and Karina was in the West. Thanks be to God for bringing us together, parting the waters and moving mountains. We are honored that you care and are with us always.

No comments:

Post a Comment